“Water and sustainable development” is the theme of Expo Zaragoza 2008. Under the banner of “The Water Tribune” there will be a series of ten thematic weeks, an “Ágora” – a space devoted to citizenship participation, a “water cinema” and nearly 60 parallel events.
In collaboration with the World Bank Institute (WBI), a virtual pavilion named e-waterexpo.net, will be created that will a organise a three-hour videoconferencing session each week.
The ten thematic theme topics are:
1. Water and Land, 16-20 June. Territorial Management. Forestry.
2. Water and Cities, 25-28 June. Local Governments and Governance. Development of Urban Surroundings
3. Water for Life, 30 June – 3 July. Health. Water Quality. Rivers and Sustainability
4. Water, a Unique Resource, 07-09 July. Shared Waters: Governance and Governability. Water Geopolitics. Basin and Aquifers: Planning and Management
5. Water Supply and Sanitation Services, 15-18 July. Regulatory and Institutional Framework. Society and Service Quality. Efficiency, Management and Development.
6. Climate Change and Extreme Events, 21-23 July
7. Water Economics and Financing, 28 July 28 – 01 August. Water Markets. Financial Solutions for Emerging Countries.
8. Water and Society, 4-6 August. Education. Communication. Culture.
9. Water and Energy, 01-03 September. Water for Energy and Energy for Water. Non-Conventional Energy Sources.
10. New Sources of Water: Reuse and Desalination, 08-10 September
Some parallel events of special interest are:
Latin American Forum Water and Sustainable Development
17 July, International Centre of Water and Environment (CIAMA).
Forum organised by Virtual Educa and the Environment Department of the Government of Aragon.
Round table on “Comprehensive water management as a resource and the role of local organizations”
Talks organised by the Foundation Prince Albert II of Monaco and the UN Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR).
Seminar on “Water and sanitation: innovative alternatives“
Date pending confirmation.
Seminar on financing and support to the Development Millennium Goals regarding water and sanitation organised by UNESCO-Etxea.
Presentation “Water, source of life for the Human Rights“
Date pending confirmation.
Presentation of a publication under the aegis of UNESCO-Etxea linked to the Water Human Right.
Encounter of the Agencies for Development and Co-operation
24-25 July, Aljafería Palace, Zaragoza.
Organised by the Spanish Agency for International Co-operation (AECID) for the Directors of the Agencies for Development Co-operation of the 27 EU member states.
Conference “Training needs in Latin America within the framework water and city“
02-03 August, Water Tribune pavilion
Organised by the “Network Water and City” and coordinated by the Technological Water Institute; institute set up by the Technical University of Valencia and the Government of the Autonomous Community of Valencia.
Partnership Conference Africa- Spain for the development of local communities
From 26-28 August
Organised by the Aragonese Federation for Solidarity and the Association for socio-cultural promotion Kaolack-Zaragoza. With the collaboration of the Town Council of Zaragoza and the Government of Aragon. The Governments of Senegal, Gambia and Mauritania.
International Water Research Symposium
27-29 August, World Trade Centre, Zaragoza.
European Symposium on R+D projects on water and sustainable development financed by the EU – DG Research by means of the Framework Programme.
For more info go to the Expo Zaragoza 2008 web site